Southcoast Training is offering an Online Paramedic program for distant learners in which all graduates will be eligible for the NREMT-P exam as well as the Massachusetts state Paramedic exam.
We will use an internet based virtual classroom to deliver the lecture (didactic) portion of a paramedic program. The hands on or practical
skills portion will require an intensive 80 hrs of skills training and evaluation at our school in Fairhaven, Massachusetts.
Class Room Delivery:
The virtual or web based classroom is a great way to deliver online paramedic learning. Each student will utilize a headset that contains a microphone, and will sign into
a virtual classroom through an internet web address, for a LIVE interactive lecture. We have the capability for student to see the instructor live during the lecture.
Students will interact with him or her as well as fellow students.
This classroom has total application sharing, which means, whatever the instructor is showing on his or her computer, will be visible by all the students. This includes power point presentations, audio and video clips/movies, handouts and any other document.
One of the most exciting features of this online paramedic program is that each session is recorded and archived. If a student misses a classroom session then they will be
required to watch the recorded session that they missed, this is tracked through our course management system for attendance purpose. It is also a great tool for any student
to be able to review a lecture for clarification and understanding of content.
The recorded class shows EVERYTHING that happens during that session. This would include the power point presentation, voice over from the instructor any questions from students and any documents that were shown by the instructor.
This class can also be converted to a standalone podcast for viewing without internet access and can be made portable for anyone who wishes to download a lecture for review on their IPod, I phone or any MP3 player that has video capability.
Multimedia movie production
Course Management System
- Converts e Live! session recordings to video podcasts
- Industry-standard video formats include AVI, FLV, MP3, MP4 (including H.264), WAV, WMV, M4A, OGG VORBIS
- Captures shared applications and whiteboard
- Captures all audio, including telephony
- Saves chat transcripts and captions
- Switch between video windows, even in recordings
- Student/instructor information hidden in output files
Along with the virtual classroom an entire course management system will be used online for each student. Evolve course management system is an Elsevier
product that is used along with their Sanders Paramedic textbook. It will be preloaded with all the handouts and extra documents that make our online paramedic
program possible. The student will also complete assignments, quizzes and exams online in this system. It is a secure way to evaluate our students and has been
proven through use with paramedic programs at our school. It also has some excellent ancillary learning material that comes directly from the author of the
Paramedic text book.
In the beginning of the application process we will do an admission assessment of each candidate using Evolve Reach, to evaluate each student.
This exam is an online exam and will:
- Allow faculty to easily identify students who may be at-risk, throughout the curriculum.
- Presents validation that the institution has provided the proper remediation resources for students who have demonstrated weakness in a particular area.
- Provides individualized remediation based on student results, saving instructors time in outlining remediation plans for each student.
- Ensures that test items are written at the critical thinking, application level, effectively simulating the NREMT-P examination.
At the end of each program the student will also take an exit exam through the Evolve Reach system.